Bangor 1876 crowned first-ever Premier Cup champions

PICTURE BY Eado Photography.

BANGOR 1876 have been won the first-ever North Wales Coast West Premier Division Cup following a 3-0 win over Bodedern Athletic.

Boded had pipped 1876 to the Premier Division title just a few weeks back, but the latter took their revenge by ensuring that the former didn’t enjoy an unbeaten league season by defeating them 3-1 on the final day.

And it was the same again for 1876 last night as they claimed an impressive 3-0 victory over their rivals to lift the Premier Cup at Cemaes Bay’s School Lane ground.

In front of an estimated 600 spectators, Boded lined-up without one of their star strikers – Asa Thomas and main goalkeeper Carl Jones, with Jordan Taylor – who had a great game – playing in net.

Despite having played 120 minutes away to Pwllheli in the NWCFA Intermediate Cup – winning 6-4 in extra time – only 48 hours beforehand, 1876 made a lively start to this final.

Shaun Lock was first to cause trouble for Boded as his long range effort forced goalkeeper Jordan Taylor into making a smart save.

Taylor again had to be alert a few minutes later when Les Davies broke in, but the keeper again pulled off a fine save with his feet.

Just after the half hour mark, the opening goal arrived – a fine cross from Lock into the box saw Taylor attempt to punch the ball out before it was headed away from the goal line only to drop to Harry Galeotti whose header was flicked into the net by defender Tom Clarke.

It was joy for 1876 at Cemaes Bay. PIC: Eado Photography.

Within six minutes of taking the lead, 1876 doubled their advantage when another Lock cross into the box from resulted in an own goal from Ryan Lees to make it 2-0 to 1876 at the break.

In the second half, 1876 immediately went close to a third goal through substitute Cameron Barry but his shot was again saved brilliantly by Taylor in the Bodedern goal.

But the third and decisive goal arrived just moments later (51 mins) and it was the best of the bunch.

The brilliant Corrig McGonigle chased a ball through the middle and looked to have an opportunity to run through on goal- but instead he took the time to steady himself before chipping the ball over Taylor from 30 yards to make it 3-0.

Bodedern nearly pulled a goal back some 10 minutes later when Ryan Lees’ 25-yard effort forced 1876 keeper Ben Heald into making a good save.

Talented young midfielder Sam Gregson then went close for Boded on two separate occasions but it just wasn’t to be for the Green and White Army on the night.

Bangor 1876 celebrate their Premier Cup win. PIC: Eado Photography.

1876 were deserved champions on the night in what was their first-ever cup final as a club having been formed in 2019 (Covid put a stop to football and cup competitions for a good period after that).

The two sides were scheduled to square off again this coming Saturday (May 28) in the semi-finals of the prestigious NWCFA Intermediate Challenge Cup.

However, it has been announced this morning that Bodedern have withdrawn from the tournament due to a number of injuries.

That means 1876 will now go on to face another phoenix club – Rhyl 1879 – in the final.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s