North Wales Coast West Division One: Huge last-gasp win for Caergybi as Celts drop points

PICTURE by Trevor Owen shows Gary Jo Owen celebrating his last minute winner for Caergybi.

10-MAN CAERGYBI earned themselves a huge win in the most dramatic fashion in the latest round of fixtures from North Wales Coast West Division One.

Dale Moffat’s side beat fellow tier five title-chasers Waunfawr with moments left on the clock at Millbank.

Young starlet Louis Chapman bagged his 12th league goal of the season early on from the penalty spot to hand Cybi the lead.

Chapman was then dismissed with around 40 minutes remaining in the tie.

Then, in what was a closely-fought battle, Meurig Parry’s goal 15 minutes from time for Waunfawr looked as though it would be enough to secure a point.

But, Cybi had other plans and, having cut in on his left foot, substitute Gary Jo Owen smashed home a late winner for them to spark wild scenes of celebrations.

Gary Jo Owen celebrates his goal for Caergybi. PIC: Trevor Owen.

That was the experienced forward’s ninth goal in all competitions this season and it could be a highly important one in the quest for the title in tier five in the long run.

I personally have to say that, the way he has bounced back from a family bereavement to score twice in the last two games has been nothing short of sensational and is truly admirable.

That win was made even bigger for Cybi as Talysarn Celts dropped points at home at Gloddfa Glai to Cemaes Bay in a 2-2 draw. Following today’s results, Cybi are now four points behind the Celts with two games in hand over the league-leaders.

Captain Jac Jones maintained his fine form to give the Celts the lead on the half hour mark before Sol Williams equalised with around 20mins to go in the tie.

Rhodri Jones then put the home side in front again with just seven minutes to go but hard-working midfielder Luke McKittrick (in white below) equalised in the dying moments for the Bay.

McKittrick (in white) playing against Y Fali last season. PIC: Edryd Jones

That was only the second time the unbeaten Celts had dropped points so far this season – with the other occasion coming in a 1-1 draw v Caergybi on July 31.

Elsewhere in tier five, Sion Parry notched four goals for Llanystumdwy as they beat Y Fali 6-0 at home.

The forward (below) who has amassed more than 200 goals for the club in the past despite being only 24 years old, was the star of the show once more for Stumdwy who beat Bethesda Rovers 7-0 in their previous match.

Llanystumdwy’s Parry in action v Cefni. PIC: Darren Jones

He’s now on 10 league goals for the season already having moved back to the club from Nantlle Vale over the summer.

Gruff Sion bagged his second goal in as many matches and Darren Parry scored the other as Y Fali fell to a fourth successive league defeat.

In Friday night’s matches, Bethesda Athletic beat local rivals and league newcomers Bethesda Rovers 9-0.

Adrian Roberts scored a hat-trick with Tomos Hughes and Cameron Robertson adding a brace each and Kyle Hartleb and Mike Lundstram adding the other goals.

Llangoed were beaten 3-1 at home by the in-form Llanfairpwll.

Jay Finter came back to haunt Llangoed. PIC: Wynne Evans

Anthony Williams fired in a stunner to give the home side the lead on 70 mins but a penalty from former Llangoed player Jay Finter (above) five minutes later and strikes from Marky Holland (79’) and Finter again (84’) turned the tie around.

Finally, Llanerchymedd beat struggling Holyhead Town 6-1 thanks to goals from Gwion Thomas (3), Marc Jones, Gavin Sharpe and Gethin Hughes. Liam Bibby was on target for The Harbourmen.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s