Drama all around as bad weather hits Anglesey fixtures

PICTURE by Wynne Evans.


Caergybi 7-2 Pentraeth Reserves

Image may contain: 5 people, people standing, grass, outdoor and nature
Another game, another step closer to the title for Caergybi. PICTURE: Trevor Owen.

Cybi’s title charge remains alive after they crushed Pentraeth’s second string on Saturday afternoon.

Yet another hat-trick from league top scorer James Ryan saw him take his tally for the season to 55 (beating his record of 54 from last season). Both Dewi Thomas‘ grabbed a goal each and Dave Webb and Liam Williams also scored.

Pentraeth’s goals scored by captain Tom Jones and Jack Halton we’re mere consolations for them, as despite a better second half performance, a poor showing in the first 45 let them down on what was a terrible day weather-wise for football.


Cemaes Bay 3-2 Llandegfan

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor
Cemaes got there in the end! 

The hosts showed real fight to come from 2-0 down to keep Llandeg’s winless season going.

The visitors had started the game off very, very well and it wasn’t long before Elliott Jones was able to play recently-signed striker Paul Jones in behind the defence, before he slotted home coolly for 1-0.

Cemaes woke up a little but gave away a silly free-kick just outside the box some five minutes before half time. Up stepped young midfielder – Robert Boyes – who found the back of the net with a fine up and over attempt which beat goalkeeper Peter Finn.

The home team found a goal back before HT though. A mix up at the back allowing eventual Man of the Match Chris Hughes in to score.

In the second half, Cemaes presses hard and were rewarded for their efforts. Llandegfan held on for a good half hour, but tired legs began to show in the final 15 minutes.

The equaliser came when Chris Hughes’ free kick took a deflection before beating goalkeeper Duane Hunt, who had made save after save leading up to that goal. Llandeg hearts were broken five minutes from time when Hughes completes his hat-trick – following in from close range after a Ryan Rowlands shot had come back off the post and straight to his feet.


Llanfairpwll 3-3 Arriva Bangor

Spud Thomas’ Llanfair side stunner title-chasing Arriva with a fine comeback in this one.

It had all started off very well for the home team when debutante Callum Jones scored early on. However, goals from top scorer Scott Hughes (2) and Liam Roberts then put Arriva in the driving seat.

Or so it seemed, but Llanfair, and Shaun Morris in particular, had other ideas. Their top scorer took his tally for the season to double figures as he scored twice (including from a very late penalty) to secure them a surprising point.



Bryngwran Bulls 2-2 Hotspur Reserves (called off in Extra Time)

Hotspur Reserves celebrate a goal. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

The game that really had it all for the neutral (if the neutral was happy to stand and watch in the heavy rain that is!)

Two disallowed goals and a red card for Bulls goalkeeper Konner Druce late on were the key talking points in a game that was eventually called off in Extra Time due to the weather.

Martin McClymont and Deian Parry had scored for the Reserves but goals from Bulls captain Iolo Jones and Matty Roberts saw Richard Owen’s side fight back for their second successive 2-2 draw.

The match is now set to be replayed in the coming weeks.


Valley 1-0 Cefni

One team that did progress to the semi-finals of the cup on Saturday was Valley who fought well to earn themselves a clean sheet against Cefni.

In a closely-fought battle in the wind and the rain, it was a goal from Luke Miles that proved to be the only difference for Dan Jones side.

Speaking of Jones, AFEFootballNews would like to congratulate the Valley gaffer on being voted the blog’s Anglesey League Manager of the Half Season this week – besting Arriva Bangor’s Kevin Jones in the final.

Keep an eye out for my article on the full team dropping soon.



Gwalchmai 2-1 Bro Goronwy

It was a big win for Gwalch. PIC: Bro Goronwy FC.

A controversial refereeing decision was the focal point of this one as Gwalch did well to beat an in-form Bro side.

With the home side creating all the chances early on, they eventually took the lead through a well worked free-kick. Cian Owen headed the ball down to the lively Corey Sinnott who volleyed the ball home spectacularly over Johnny Sweetser-Hawkes for 1-0. Sinnott then turned into creator for Gwalch’s second – delivering a pin-point cross for Cian Owen who finished confidently.

The second half saw Bro come to life and they began to look dangerous going forward. Centre back Sam Carter bravely went in goal after Sweetser-Hawkes was forced off with an injury. He did very well too – pulling off a number of fine saves and earning himself a second half clean sheet in the process.

There was a glimmer of hope for the visitors when Liam Griffiths pulled one back via a long range drive on 70mins to set up a tense finale. The defining moment of the game however came when Bro though they had levelled. A goal mouth scramble resulted in Gwalch’s goalkeeper clawing the ball back from what seemed well over the goal-line and onto the crossbar only for match official Arwel Jones to wave play on.

The result leaves Gwalchmai in the Gwynedd League title mix and sees Bro having to turn their attention to winning a cup elsewhere this season instead.


Other results:

Nefyn United 3-1 Mynydd Tigers

Talysarn Celts P-P Bontnewydd

Waunfawr 1-6 Llangoed



Amlwch Town 1-8 Aberffraw

Gaerwen 2-0 Meliden

Glan Conwy 3-1 Blaenau Amateurs

Holyhead Town 4-4 Kinmel Bay

Llanerchymedd v Pwllheli (Abandoned)


Bodedern Athletic v Prestatyn Sports (Abandoned)

Greenfield 2-0 Nantlle Vale

Llandudno Albion 5-1 Llanberis

Llandyrnog United 1-3 Llanrwst United

Mynydd Llandegai v Llandudno Junction (Abandoned)

St. Asaph City P-P Penrhyndeudraeth



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s