Arriva, Caergybi, Cefni and Bulls through in Elias Cup + Gwynedd League round-up

PICTURE by Wynne Evans shows Graham Jones of Pentraeth Reserves (yellow) challenging Mark Hamblin (Bryngwran Bulls) for the ball.


Bryngwran Bulls 4-0 Pentraeth Reserves

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, grass, outdoor and nature
Bulls players surround Moore after his injury. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

Bryngwran marched into the next round of the Elias Cup with a routine victory over Pentraeth Reserves, but the game had to be called off on 75 minutes due to a serious injury to the Anglesey League’s top scorer.

Craig Moore suffered a severely bruised shoulder and broken rib during a collision and the match had to be abandoned as a result, whilst Bulls players and staff waited for an ambulance to arrive.

Before the incident, the home side had looked in complete control of the tie, cruising into a 3-0 lead at half time thanks to a Ioan Thomas double and a goal from midfielder Mark Hamblin.

In the second half, The Reserves went down to ten men early on thanks to a straight red card before Bulls debutante Gwynfor Owen, who had just signed from Pentraeth Reserves in the week scored a screamer against his former side to make it 4-0 and see Bryngwran progress.

Side note – AFEFootballNews would like to wish Craig all be best in his recovery and hope it won’t keep him out of action for too long!


Cemaes Bay 1-2 Cefni (AET)

A closely-fought battle in this one could have seen either side come out on top, but it was the visitors who eventually sealed the win.

Cemaes could have taken the lead in the first half but Liam Rodriguez’s penalty was saved by Cefni’s stand-in keeper Michael Sweetman. He went from hero to zero in the space of five minutes though as a flap at the ball allowed Chris Hughes to go in and put the home side ahead.

Cefni’s eventual leveller came from the spot. Striker Nathan Lewis was hacked down in the box and it was he who got back up on his feet to convert the penalty that followed.

The game went t Extra Time as both teams searched for a winner and what a goal it was. Lee Lewis beat two defenders before smashing the ball home from around 40 yards out to send Cefni through.


Holyhead Hotspur Reserves 1-4 Arriva Bangor

Hughes added two more to his tally. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

Cup holders Arriva will be joining The Bulls and Cefni in the semi-finals following a great win at Hotspur Reserves.

Kris Dunne scored his fourth goal of the season for the home side but it wasn’t enough for Mike Kelly’s men as Arriva turned on the style.

Top scorer Scott Hughes added two more goals to his tally for the season and youngster Cai Thomas and recently-signed midfielder Elliot Patterson completed the scoreline for Kevin Jones’ team to keep their hopes of retaining the cup alive.


Valley 1-4 Caergybi

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sport, people standing, grass, child, outdoor and nature
Valley’s Marc Wilson (Red and Black) and Cybi’s Casey Williams battle for the ball. PICTURE: Trevor Owen.

Caergybi make up the Elias Cup’s semi-finalists after they picked up a vital victory at Valley’s Cae Mwd.

Despite the troubles with their home ground (Millbank) being destroyed by council contractors in midweek, Caergybi managed to keep their focus on the football on Saturday afternoon.

As always, prolific forward James Ryan was on form for his side as he bagged yet another hat-trick. Winger Tristan Hughes added the other as Cybi boosted their chances of winning some silverware this season.

An own goal was a mere consolation for Valley and credit to Caergybi, they played very well defensively particularly as they went down to 10 men for most of the second half.



Llandegfan 1-5 Bodorgan

Llandeg’s woes continued as they fell to a heavy defeat at home to Bod, who climbed up to fourth in the league after this win.

Winger Luke Winter put the visitors ahead early on, cutting inside well to finish brilliantly with his left foot. They doubled their advantage before half time when Luke Allaway was in behind the defence to slot the ball past the advancing Daniel Kendrick in the Llandeg goal. It could have been a different story, as Llandeg scored just minutes later via striker Nathan Stenson – but the goal was wrongly ruled out for offside and Bod led 2-0 at the break.

In the second half, Bodorgan really came to life. A miscommunication at the back between Kendrick and Cameron Slater allowed Allaway in for a simple second goal before debutante Matt Lawson scored from a header after a corner was floated in. Midfielder Aaron Jones then made it 5-0 with a fine striker before Ryan Hughes pulled one back from a lopping header.

Scottish centre back Matt Lawson was awarded Man of the Match in this one. Making his debut for Bod, he was superb at the back and bagged himself a goal too.



Glantraeth 3-4 Menai Bridge Tigers

Hat-trick of penalties for Redmond. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

As predicted beforehand, there was plenty of goals in this match, but once again Menai Tigers remained unbeaten and secured a fine victory.

Top scorer Dean Redmond put the visitors 1-0 up after six minutes, scoring from the spot after Sion Hogan had been brought down in the box. Incredibly, less than ten minutes later there was a repeat of the same situation, Hogan going down in the box and Redmond again making no mistake to convert another penalty and make it 2-0.

On 17 minutes, veteran striker Andy Clarke pulled one back for the home side after taking his chance well. On the half hour mark, The Tigers were awarded a THIRD penalty when Hogan was a gain brought down in the box, this time by the keeper. There aren’t many players in the world who would have the bottle to bag three pens in one game but Dean Redmond was the man to do just that on Saturday afternoon – smashing the ball into the top corner for 3-1. Glantraeth’s Iwan Kirkham pulled made it 3-2 before half time though as his shot deceived Dave Clarke in the Menai goal.

In the second half, Menai put themselves 4-2 up when a Shaun Lock cross from the left found Callum Graves who calmly slotted a volley home. On 65 minutes, Glantraeth’s Bryn Roberts beat a couple of players before scoring from the edge of the box to set up a tense final 25 minutes.

However, Menai Bridge Tigers held on for what was yet another fine victory on what is becoming a ridiculous run of form for them. The loss sees Glantraeth remain in third place.


Gwalchmai 4-1 Mynydd Tigers

Gwalchmai continued their fine form and remained in second place with a routine victory over lowly Mynydd Tigers who are yet to win away from home.

With manager Martin Jones leaving the club in the week, there were concerns over whether or not the team would be able to continue to perform as they had done under his guidance.

However, they showed no signs of putting the brakes on as they swept The Tigers aside in style. The lively Paul Rowlands put them ahead after early on before Adrian Roberts equalised for Mynydd on 43 minutes. Gwalch took the lead again before half time though, Gwion Tomos’ strike hitting a defender and going in.

Another goal from Tomos and a Darren Roberts strike in the second half was enough to hand the home side the three points and remain four points behind league leaders Menai Tigers.



2 thoughts on “Arriva, Caergybi, Cefni and Bulls through in Elias Cup + Gwynedd League round-up

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s