Lucas Oil Anglesey League: Bank Holiday brings games galore as Dargie Cup kicks-off

PICTURE by Cemaes Bay FC.


Arriva Bangor 2-5 Caergybi

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, people playing sport and outdoor
Gary Jo Owen turned the game on its head here. PICTURE: Trevor Owen.

The visitors battled hard to come from 2-0 down to win 5-2 and earn themselves what could be a crucial three points come the end of the season.

Arriva raced into a 2-0 lead within the first half an hour of this one thanks to goals from Mark Williams and Matty Jones. However, Jordie Lees did pull one back for Cybi before half time after a great run and cross from Dan Lowies allowed him in to score.

The home side had held out for most of the second half and had looked as though they were heading towards a huge three points. It wasn’t to be though as the introduction of Dewi Thomas and Rikki Jones from the bench for Caergybi made all the difference – with the latter bagging himself three assists.

A crazy final ten minutes saw four goals go in Caergybi’s favour. New boy Justin Williams bagged his first goal for the club on 80 minutes to level the scoring before Gary Jo Owen made it 3-2 on 87mins.

A James Ryan goal on 90 mins made sure the three points were heading back to Holyhead with Dale Moffat’s side before a late,late penalty from Gary Jo Owen added insult to injury for Arriva.

Caergybi showed good fight in this one as they bounced back from their midweek defeat to rivals Valley in fine fashion.


Bodorgan 0-2 Holyhead Hotspur Reserves

Hotspur Reserves fine form in the league continued as they took all three points from Bodorgan on Saturday afternoon.

Goals from Simon Davies and Owain Roberts (his third of the season) were enough for Mike Kelly’s side to get the win in this one. They are now unbeaten in their last three games in the league and look to be settling in well, despite most of their squad members being very young.

As for Bodorgan, it was a day to forget for them. It’s not often they go a game without scoring but the ball just wouldn’t find its way into the back of the net in this one for them.


Llanfairpwll 0-4 Cemaes Bay

Image may contain: 12 people, people smiling
Just look at what that win means to Cemaes Bay FC.

Cemaes Bay picked up their first three points of the season in some style with a great away win at Llanfair.

Four goals from striker Ryan Rowlands set Darren Hughes’ side well on their way to their first win since joining the Anglesey League in the summer.

Llanfairpwll just didn’t seem to have an answer for Cemaes’ attacking style of play and the difference showed in the end in this one. Is this the turning point in the visitors season now?


Pentraeth Reserves 2-10 Bryngwran Bulls

Image may contain: 2 people, including Iolo Jones, people smiling, people playing sport, grass, outdoor and nature
It was Moore’s day again in this one. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

One to forget for the home side here as Bryngwran turned on the style by playing some excellent football.

A very quick start to the game saw The Bulls 1-0 up within 47 seconds when Craig Moore sneaked into put the ball into the net. It was 2-0 on THREE MINUTES when Moore was in again, curling a shot in from 15 yards out.

On 11mins it was three when Matty Roberts fired home a right footed volley. Moments later, Moore completed his hat-trick, making it 4-0 to The Bulls with a stunning free-kick. With just 15 minutes gone on the clock it was 5-0 to Bryngwran when Jerome Sillence fired home.

The one sided affair became 6-0 on 25mins as Moore was in again and this game was in danger of becoming very embarrassing for Pentraeth’s second string. Credit to them though, they didn’t give up and found a goal themselves via a corner as Tom Jones headed the ball in. However, The Bulls added a seventh before half time when winger Ioan Thomas found space and put the ball in the net.

Things calmed down a little in the second half, but Bryngwran continued to press. Craig Moore proved he was human after all on 52mins as he hit a penalty against the bar and the ball was put out for a corner. Straight from that set-piece though, The Bulls added an eighth as Matt Reynolds tapped in at the back post.

Jerome Sillence popped up with his second goal of the game on 63mins after a flick on from Anton Williams found him unmarked at the back post. It was double figures on 75mins when Pentraeth goalkeeper Lee Williams dropped Sion Emlyn Davies cross’ into his net. The home side had the last laugh though as they pulled another back thanks to a Matt Williams goal.

The Bulls go marching on and on though and with five wins out of five this season – they’re the only team left with a 100% record in the league now and must surely be the favourites to win it this season.


Valley 3-3 Cefni

Cefni are really starting to find their feet in the league now and after beating Llandegfan last week they fought for a vital point at Valley here.

Valley manager Dan Jones rotated his squad for this one with a cup game just two days away and so the likes of Jacob Reid, Elliot PAtterson, Dewi Thomas and Paul Williams were all rested for this one.

Nevertheless though, they will feel they should have done better and they found themselves 1-0 down thanks to an absolutely wonderful free-kick from Cefni’s Gary Winnard.

Valley found themselves back in the game soon after though. The towering figure of Mike Williams was causing problems throughout and it was he who found the equaliser – Guy Mabbott launching one of his trademark throw-in’s into the box which Williams got on the end of to score.

Credit to Cefni though, they kept pushing and found themselves back in front again when Gwyndaf Davies made it 2-1 with a neat volley. However, it didn’t last long as in-form Valley man Shane Boylan made it five goals in three games for himself and made it 2-2.

Incredibly, it was 3-2 to Cefni before half time when star striker Paul Jones gave Valley something to think about before a vital second 45 minutes.

For the third time in a crazy match though, Valley would find an equaliser – but they did miss some glorious chances first. Substitute Dion Evans hit the bar, Mike Williams put one wide via an acrobatic attempt and Dan Manning had a shot saved.

The equaliser eventually came and it was a cruel one for Cefni to take. An injury time corner looked certain to be cleared out of the box, only for the ball to hit Cefni’s Lee Lewis on the head and bounce into the back of the net for 3-3 in what was no doubt an absolute sickener for the visitors.



Bryngwran Bulls 2-2 Arriva Bangor (Anglesey League)

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sport, grass, outdoor and nature
Nothing to separate these two giants. PICTURE: Wynne Evans.

Two favourites for the league squared off in this one, but there was nothing to seperate them come the end of the 90 minutes.

A thoroughly disappointing first half from both teams saw them go in at 0-0 at half time, as chances were wasted throughout – although Arriva keeper Dion Lewis did have a hand in keeping them in the game too.

The breakthrough eventually came when Anton Williams finished well from a well-taken Iolo Jones free-kick which saw the ball land straight at his feet. Some rare poor defending from The Bulls allowed Arriva in soon after though as the game hung in the balance – Sammie Williams putting the ball into the net to equalise.

Arriva then found themselves in front after one fo their strikers had been brought down in the box and Mark Williams stepped up to net his sixth goal of the campaign. With just 15 minutes to go, it was beginning to look as though Kevin Jones’ side would take the 3 points.

However, Bryngwran pushed on and eventually found the equaliser when a Tom Verburg corner found Konner Druce who rose high to head the ball home ten minutes from time.

Two late chances for Craig Moore went begging and Arriva keeper Dion Lewis produce a fine stop late on to see both teams share a well-earned point in this one.


Cemaes Bay 2-2 Pentraeth Reserves (Anglesey League)

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor
Four points for Cemaes now.

Draws are hard to come by in the Anglesey League so to have two in one day was quite the surprise. Both teams played some very good football in what was an entertaining and competitive game of football.

Cemaes incredibly had two goals disallowed as they were ruled out for offside and Pentraeth subsequently took control of the game. A goal from Kenny Williams and an absolutely glorious free-kick from Gwynfor Owen were not enough for the three points though.

Ryan Rowlands was the hero once again for the home side as he netted his tenth and eleven goals of the season to secure them a point.


Cefni 3-1 Llanfairpwll (Dargie Cup)

Image may contain: 18 people, including Chris Davies, Liam Griffiths and Peter Twigg, people smiling, sky, outdoor and nature
Cefni are on a roll now.

Cefni maintained their good run of form with a fairly comfortable win over Llanfairpwll who seem to have hit a slump.

Goals from Lee Lewis (who made up for that own goal in midweek!), midfielder Ben Wright and top scorer Paul Jones (His fifth of the season) ensured Cefni’s progress to the next round of the cup.

“We are starting to turn things around now. We are playing much better, there’s more confidence and the effort is superb.” said manager Chris Davies.


Llandegfan 1-12 Caergybi (Dargie Cup)

Image may contain: 4 people, people playing sport, grass, outdoor and nature
Luke McKittrick on the ball for Caergybi. PICTURE: Trevor Owen.

The visitors ran riot as Llandeg endured yet another embarrassing defeat on Monday afternoon and went crashing out of the cup.

Gary Jo Owen netted SIX GOALS and James Ryan bagged a hat-trick as Caergybi’s attack looked frightening in this one. A goal each from Luke McKittrick, Dave Webb and Justin Williams completed the rout.

Kurt Harris bagged his third goal of the season for Llandeg with a fine finish but that was the only bright spark for the home side here.


Valley 3-3 Holyhead Hotspur Reserves (Dargie Cup – AET, Reserves win 4-2 on pens)

The home side were involved in a six goal thriller for the second time in three days – only this time they eventually went out of the cup.

Goals from Ian Williams, Paul Owen and Mike Williams (Valley) and Harry Lewis, Kris Dunne and an own goal (Hotspur Res) saw the game go to spot-kicks and it was the visitors who eventually progressed to the second round.


Top scorers as it stands:

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people playing sport, grass and outdoor
Cemaes’ Rowlands has emerged as a surprise candidate for that top scorer award. PICTURE: Cemaes Bay FC.

Craig Moore (Bryngwran Bulls) – 17 goals

Gary Jo Owen (Caergybi) – 16 goals (6 in Cup)

Ryan Rowlands (Cemaes Bay) – 11 goals

James Ryan (Caergybi) – 10 goals (3 in cup)

Scott Hughes (Arriva Bangor) – 9 goals

Jerome Sillence (Bryngwran Bulls) – 8 goals



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s