Wrexham vs Chester – Non League football at its finest!

On Saturday, the 19th of March, me and a friend decided, as we so often have this season, that we’d go and watch Wrexham FC play at the Glyndwr University Racecourse stadium. But this day was like no other before it, as it was the day of the cross border derby against fierce rivals Chester FC.

We arrived just before kickoff, and right from the start, even as we were stood outside the stadium, we could tell that this atmosphere was quite something. Chants of “sheepshaggers!” Were echoing from inside the ground as the Chester fans tried their best to wind up the home crowd, but instead enticed them into singing “we know what we are!” In humourous response. It was clear that this was just as much a case of Wales vs England as it was between the two clubs.

As we arrived inside the stadium, we realised that the ground was packed (an attendance of 6,459 fans was later confirmed during the match), almost double the average attendance had crammed themselves in for what turned out to be a very eventful afternoon.
The minute we managed to find our seats, the players arrived out from the tunnel and the crowd came to life, with Chester fans releasing flares of blue smoke into the air and Wrexham fans singing their famous “Wrexham lager” chants in full voice.

The first half, although fairly entertaining, lacked any real chances for either team, with the Dragons’ captain Connor Jennings going closest, hitting the crossbar from just five yards out. “How did he not score?!” Was the question on everyone lips. Ross Hannah went close for Chester but was denied by a fine save by Wrexham Goalkeeper Taylor. The first half dragged to a close and finished at 0-0, surely things could only get better in the next 45 minutes right?

And they sure did get better …

Wrexham attacked with real menace, and it wasn’t long before their match changing moment arrived. Forward Kayden Jackson was bundled over in the box by Chester defender Ryan Astles, who was then sent off as he was deemed to be last man by referee Adrian Holmes. Connor Jennings then converted the penalty that followed the madness and this in truth was the beginning of the end for Chester.

A tidy finish from Kayden Jackson then made it 2-0 before fans favourite Robbie Evans scored the third to finish the game.

The game was a thrilling one from start to finish and I would highly recommend that anyone who loves a good game of football, go to the Racecourse and watch a game, as at just £14 a ticket it was great value for money. As we left the stadium, both me and my friend agreed that it was a great day, a great match and a fantastic atmosphere and we’ll definitely be returning to Wrexham in the near future!

Thrilling - Wrexham 3-0 Chester!

Posted by Arron Fôn Evans.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s